Kuk Sool Won™ is the system of teaching the entirety of the martial arts traditions of Korea. I often tell people that we teach 5,000 years of Korean martial history — Kuk Sool is hugely comprehensive, and if they’ve got a picture in their minds of what “martial arts” are, we probably teach a version of it here plus a dozen other things you may not yet associate with learning a martial art.
Our school is a member of the international organization called the World Kuk Sool Association, Inc. This means that we are following an extremely well-organized syllabus and system that never stops impressing us or our students with its effectiveness, thoughtful progress, balance of challenges and rewards, and life-enhancing, health-supporting approach. Being a part of the World Kuk Sool Association also means that we are part of a much larger family of schools, instructors, masters, and students than our home dojang (martial arts school), and our students get the benefit of all that collective experience, teaching, friendship, and support.
So really. What is Kuk Sool Won™? Here’s a short list:
- Throws and grappling
- Joint lock techniques
- Traditional weaponry
- Acrobatics and safe falling
- Meditation and breathing
- Healing and internal energy systems
Not enough for you? Here at Kuk Sool Won™ of St. Paul, we would add that Kuk Sool Won™:
- Is specifically designed to extend and enhance life
- Increases memory capacity
- Teaches behaviors of perseverance, self-control, introspection, and compassion
- Trains students in holistic, meaningful, and practical self-defense
- Emphasizes health, safety, good manners, and respectful treatment of all people
Still don’t feel like you know what Kuk Sool Won™ is? That’s okay. Contact us so you can give it a try — experience is the best way to really get an answer to the question!